Yonkers Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Motorcycle accidents can result in severe injuries and even fatalities due to the lack of protection that riders have compared to occupants of other vehicles. If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident, hiring a skilled attorney can help you navigate the legal complexities and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. Contact Fiedler Deutsch, LLP today by calling (914) 993-0393 or messaging us online to arrange a free consultation.
Why Choose Our Yonkers Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
- With more than 50 years of combined experience, you can trust our Yonkers personal injury firm to protect your rights and secure the best possible outcome.
- Our trial experience enables us to skillfully fight for your case in court if insurance companies will not settle for fair compensation.
- We prioritize the needs of our clients and provide personalized attention throughout their cases.
Why You Need a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Some motorcycle injuries require long-term treatment and extensive care. Securing enough compensation for the bills you have now and the potential medical care and lost income you will experience in the future is critical. However, insurance companies often refuse to pay fair compensation and attempt to devalue or deny injured riders’ claims. A Yonkers Motorcycle Accident Lawyer will have years of experience negotiating with insurance adjusters and knowledge of the unfair tactics they use. They will know when a settlement offer is unfairly low and will fight to see that you are fully compensated.
Who Is Liable After a Motorcycle Accident in Yonkers?
Liability after a motorcycle accident in Yonkers will depend on the cause of the collision and the case’s unique circumstances. However, here are examples of parties that are commonly held responsible for a motorcycle accident’s resulting damages:
If the accident was caused by the negligence of another driver, such as speeding, failure to yield, distracted driving, or running a red light, that driver or their insurer may be held liable for the accident and your losses.
Defective Part Manufacturer
If the accident was caused by a defect in the motorcycle or its components, such as faulty brakes or a defective tire, the manufacturer or distributor may be held liable for the accident.
Occasionally, accidents can occur due to poor road conditions, inadequate signage, or improper road maintenance. In those cases, a government entity responsible for road maintenance may be liable.
What Types of Compensation Can I Recover after a Motorcycle Accident?
The following types of compensation may be available when pursuing an accident claim in Yonkers:
- Medical Expenses: current and future costs for medical care.
- Lost Wages: current and future lost income while recovering.
- Disability: If you suffer a long-term impairment or permanent disability (such as paralysis).
- Property Damage: Compensation for repairing or replacing your motorcycle and other personal belongings damaged in the crash.
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation for physical and mental pain, including emotional distress (e.g., depression, anxiety, PTSD, insomnia).
- Loss of Consortium: A spouse or partner may be able to recover loss of consortium damages if your injuries significantly impact your relationship (e.g., loss of companionship or affection).
- Wrongful Death: Tragically, motorcycle accidents can result in fatalities. Surviving family members can pursue a Yonkers wrongful death claim for compensation for funeral expenses, lost income, and more.
Can I Still Recover Compensation If I Was Partly At-Fault?
In Yonkers, the legal principle of comparative negligence is applied when determining compensation in cases where multiple parties share fault for a motorcycle accident. Under pure comparative negligence, you can still recover compensation even if you were partly to blame for the crash. However, the amount of compensation you can receive is reduced in proportion to your percentage of fault. For example, if it is determined that you were 10% to blame for the accident and your total damages amount to $100,000, you would be eligible to recover $90,000 (i.e., $100,000 minus 10% or $10,000).
How Long Do I Have to File a Motorcycle Accident Claim in Yonkers?
In New York, the statute of limitations sets a time limit for filing a lawsuit after a motorcycle accident. The specific time frame may vary depending on the type of claim and the circumstances of the accident. For instance:
- Personal Injury: If you suffered an injury that qualifies under the state’s definition of “serious,” you generally have three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. This deadline applies to claims seeking compensation for medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses resulting from the accident.
- Wrongful Death: If the motorcycle accident resulted in the death of a loved one, and you wish to file a wrongful death lawsuit, the time limit is generally two years from the date of the person’s death.
Failure to file suit within the statute of limitations will likely result in your claim being barred by the court, and you will lose your right to seek compensation.
How Much Does a Yonkers Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Cost?
Many Yonkers motorcycle accident lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. Here are the key features of a contingency fee arrangement:
- No Upfront Costs: With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not have to pay any fees upfront. The attorney will cover the costs of handling your case, such as court filing fees, expert witness fees, and investigation expenses.
- Payment upon Successful Outcome: The lawyer’s fee is contingent on them achieving a favorable outcome in your case. If they successfully recover compensation for you, they will receive a percentage of the final settlement or court award as their fee. This percentage is usually agreed upon in advance and typically ranges from 33% to 40% of the total recovery.
- No Fee if No Recovery: If the lawyer is unable to recover any compensation for you, you will not owe them a fee. However, you may still be responsible for certain case-related expenses that the attorney incurred during the course of representing you, such as medical records fees or expert consultation fees. These expenses should be discussed and clarified upfront with the attorney.
A contingency fee arrangement allows you to pursue your case without the financial burden of paying any money out-of-pocket. It also aligns the lawyer’s interests with yours, as they will work hard to ensure you secure compensation.
Speak to an Experienced Yonkers Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you or someone you love has been harmed in a motorcycle accident, contact Fiedler Deutsch, LLP. We will protect your rights and demand the full and fair compensation you deserve. Call (914) 993-0393 or message us online to arrange a free consultation.