Yonkers Car Accident Lawyer
A car accident can change your life in an instant. Someone else’s mistake can cause you to suffer serious injuries that affect you physically, emotionally, and financially. Mounting medical bills, lost wages from work, and the costs to treat your injuries can be unbearable when you were hurt through no fault of your own. New York’s personal injury laws provide an avenue for car accident victims to pursue compensation for the losses they have suffered.
If you suffered injuries in a motor vehicle accident, Fiedler Deutsch, LLP wants to help. We are here to fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation case consultation.
Why Choose Our Yonkers Car Accident Lawyers?
- Our lead attorneys, Duane and Adam, handle car accident cases personally to ensure each client is given the one-on-one attention they deserve.
- We make it a point to be accessible to our clients, and you can reach us by call or text 24 hours a day.
- Over the years, we have built relationships with judges, experts, and even adversaries, which will give your case the credibility it needs to be resolved quickly.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Yonkers
Car accidents are commonplace throughout New York. Some of the most common causes of car accidents in Yonkers and surrounding areas are:
- Distracted driving
- Inattentive driving
- Speeding or driving too fast for conditions
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Switching lanes without signaling
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Drivers impaired by drugs or alcohol
- Drowsy driving
Understanding the underlying cause of your accident can help determine who to pursue for fair compensation.
How Much is My Yonkers Car Accident Claim Worth?
After a severe car accident, you may be dealing with financial uncertainty along with a severe physical injury. As a result, it is customary to wonder how much your car accident claim is worth. Since each case is unique, they will vary in value, most commonly based on the following factors:
- The severity of your injuries and whether they are permanent.
- The length of your recovery.
- How your pain and suffering impacts all aspects of your life.
- Your age and health prior to the accident.
- Whether you will need ongoing medical care and adaptive equipment.
- How much income you have lost from being unable to work.
- How much money you will lose in the future due to your injury.
- Whether there were aggravating factors present, such as drunk or otherwise impaired driving.
- The at-fault party’s insurance policy limits.
An experienced Yonkers Car Accident Attorney will be able to evaluate your particular case to give you an estimate of its worth and the minimum amount you should settle for.
Am I Required to Go to Court If I File a Claim?
Most car accident claims are resolved by settlement agreements before they reach trial. Therefore, it is unlikely that you will have to go to court, but ultimately, it is up to you, your attorney, and the other involved party. If the at-fault party’s insurance company is shifting liability onto you or refuses to negotiate, you may choose to file a lawsuit to recover the compensation you deserve. Keep in mind that filing a lawsuit is often enough to convince an insurer to settle. Alternatively, you may be forced to court if the other party involved turns around and sues you. In these situations, a judge or jury will decide the case.
How Much Does a Yonkers Car Accident Attorney Charge?
Most Yonkers car accident lawyers accept cases on a contingency fee basis, including Fiedler Deutsch, LLP. What that means is that your attorney advances any costs associated with preparing and resolving your claim, and you are only responsible for legal fees if you recover compensation. If your case ends in a settlement or award, your lawyer will generally take between 25 to 40 percent. If you do not receive compensation, there is no risk to you, as you will not owe your attorney anything.
Like all contracts, the terms can vary based on the car accident attorney you choose. For example, some may reduce their contingency fee if there is a quick settlement and raise it if the case goes to trial. Others may work on a sliding scale fee based on how much compensation you recover or the complexity of your case. Therefore, it is critical to understand a car accident attorney’s contingency fee agreement before you retain their services.
Pursuing Compensation for Car Accident Injuries in Yonkers
New York’s no-fault rules make pursuing car accident claims against liable parties more difficult. Under this system, you must first turn to your own personal injury protection (PIP) insurance for reimbursement of medical expenses in Yonkers, lost income, and other incidental non-medical expenses after you are injured in a car accident in the state. This insurance provides coverage regardless of fault.
Often, these benefits are insufficient to cover all of the losses you suffer in a car accident in Yonkers. If you or your loved one suffer “serious injuries” in the accident, you can pursue a claim against the at-fault driver. New York defines “serious injuries” as any of the following:
- Wrongful death in Yonkers
- Significant disfigurement
- Loss of pregnancy
- A fracture
- Permanent loss of the use of a body organ, member, function, or system
- Permanent consequential limitation of the use of a body organ or member
- Significant limitation of the use of a body function or system
- A medically determined injury or impairment that is not permanent but prevents the injured person from performing substantially all of their routine daily activities for at least 90 days of the 180 days immediately following the accident
What Expenses and Losses Can You Receive Compensation for in a Yonkers Car Accident?
The losses and expenses you incur after a personal injury are called “damages.” In New York, damages in car accident claims may allow you to receive compensation for:
- Costs to repair or replace your vehicle
- Medical expenses for past or future treatment for your injuries, including hospitalizations, emergency care, follow-up appointments, prescription medications, and rehabilitation
- Lost wages and lost future earning potential because of permanent disabilities you suffered in the accident
- Pain and suffering
- Lost personal enjoyment of life
In rare circumstances involving gross negligence, intentional wrongdoing, or egregious carelessness, the court can award punitive damages. These are a special type of damages that are not intended to compensate you. Instead, they are meant to punish the wrongdoer and deter similar conduct in the future.
Time Limit for Filing a Yonkers Car Accident Lawsuit
Every state has a set time limit by which an injury victim must file a lawsuit in order to preserve their right to compensation following a car accident. This is called the “statute of limitations.” In New York, the general statute of limitations is three years. This means that you have three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. If this deadline passes and you do not take action, the court can permanently bar you from recovering any compensation from the accident.
However, this does not mean that you should wait three years after a car accident to initiate your case. There are situations when the time limit is much shorter, such as if the at-fault party is a municipality or other governmental entity. Additionally, your lawyer will need time to investigate the accident, identify all potential at-fault parties, gather evidence, compute your damages, and negotiate for a fair settlement. Do not hesitate to reach out to a qualified Yonkers personal injury lawyer following a Yonkers car accident.
How a Yonkers Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
If you were injured in a car accident in Yonkers, your life may be turned upside-down. The Yonkers car accident attorneys at Fiedler Deutsch, LLP can help you with your claim by:
- Investigating your claim to determine the cause of the accident and the liability of other parties
- Gathering persuasive evidence to support your car accident claim
- Reviewing evidence to detail how the accident has affected your life and to help us compute the full value of your case
- Filing the necessary paperwork to pursue compensation for your claim
- Handling communication with the insurance company
- Negotiating full and fair compensation on your behalf
- Advising you of your legal rights at every phase of your case
- Answering any questions that pop up during the process
- Representing your interests in court if necessary
Many car accident victims think that the insurance company will be there to help them through this difficult time. However, insurance companies are for-profit companies that make millions of dollars in profits by bringing in more in premiums than they pay out in claims. Their agents and adjusters will do everything possible to minimize the amount they pay in claims so they can maximize their profits.
You need someone who will actually protect your interests. Ultimately, our team is here to provide the assistance and care you need during this difficult time in your life. You can focus on your recovery while we take care of every aspect of your claim. We work tirelessly to obtain the compensation you need to make a full financial recovery. We will review any settlement offers with you and advise you whether they offer fair compensation for your injuries.
Contact Us for Help with Your Yonkers Car Accident Claim
If you were injured in a motor vehicle accident, Fiedler Deutsch, LLP can help. Yonkers car accident provide a free case review to discuss your legal rights. Contact us to discuss your case.